With the holidays upon us, I thought I’d borrow some wisdom from the “Who’s” down in Whoville and quote Dr. Seuss’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” Here are some tips to keep your holiday from turning into a “Grinch-mas!”
1. “Give me that! Don't you know you're not suppose to take things that don't belong to you?”Secure your homes this season by locking your doors and windows, turning on your security systems and keeping your belongings out of site. Although the economy is improving, there are still some people desperate to see what you’re hiding under the tree this year.
2. “Burn baby… BURN!!!”
Be sure your electrical connections and cords are in order. If you’re lighting a real tree, ensure that it is clear of hazards, make sure there’s enough water in the basin below the tree to keep it hydrated and consider LED bulbs to reduce heat.
3. “Don’t worry about that now Max, we’ll get that later. Of course when I say we, I mean you!”
Like the Grinch, take advantage of helpers. If you have someone willing to assist you with carrying heavy loads, cooking or cleaning, allow them to do so. Many minor, yet hindering injuries happen as a result of people trying to do too much on their own.
4. “Dinner with me? I can’t cancel that again!”
This time of year can be hectic with work, holiday parties and other commitments. Remember to plan your time accordingly so you aren’t overbooked or overwhelmed and can set aside time to relax.
5. “Am I just eating because I’m bored?”
Stay disciplined with your routine and avoid eating that third piece of pie. You’ll appreciate it after the New Year arrives when you still feel comfortable in your clothes!
6. “One man’s toxic sludge is another man’s potpourri!”
The pre-holiday season is a great time to give back! Go into your closets and storage areas and get rid of some things you have been hoarding for a while. Many charities will help the less fortunate by reusing some of your older belongings.
As the Grinch realized, it's important to take time to appreciate what the holidays are all about. Reflect on the year past and look forward to the year ahead. Enjoy the time with family and friends and have a safe and happy holiday season!
“What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas... perhaps… means a little bit more!”
A Member of PCF Insurance Services
Leonard H. Franks & Associates
1845 Oak Street
Northfield, IL 60093